Author Catherine Harris shares her top ten writing tips.
1. Take yourself seriously while at the same time not taking yourself too seriously.
2. Avoid the company of anyone who doesn't know the difference.
3. Write every day.
4. Revise, revise, revise, and then revise some more.
5. Cultivate thoughtful readers (they might not be writers) for pull-no-punches feedback.
6. Criticism and praise are useful only in so far as they advance your work; treat them with the qualified respect they deserve.
7. Immerse yourself in the writing community until you develop a rash.
8. Then apply calamine lotion and avoid the writing community like the plague.
9. Be generous (to others, to yourself).
10. Don’t give up.
Catherine Harris’ novel The Family Men is available now in all good bookstores.
The Family Men will be launched by Tony Birch at the Melbourne Writers Festival at 1pm on Saturday 30th August, for more information visit the Melbourne Writers Festival website.