Wednesday, March 26, 2014
The Asian Mother’s Ten Commandments, which thou dare not forget.
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2. Thou shalt not talk back.
3. Thou shalt take off thou shoes to keep thine floors clean.
4. Honour thy father and mother – mainly mother.
5. Thou shalt not kill (me).
6. Thou shalt not sleepover.
7. Thou shalt marry nice Asian partner and bear sons.
8. Thou shalt have bob haircuts.
9. Thou shalt not badmouth others … to their face.
10. Thou shalt not covet, except maybe your cousin’s career; he is doing very well for himself; you could be more like him.
Find this, voicemail bingo, fashion and beauty tips, maternal Asian wisdom and much more in Sh*t Asian Mothers Say by Benjamin Law and Michelle Law, with illustrations by Oslo Davis. Out now in print and ebook.